Pages

Friday, January 1, 2010

Ring Out the Old, and Ring In the New!

Happy 2010, Pixies! As I stated in the previous post, I wish you all only good things for this upcoming year. I hope that all those good wishes don't totally deprive our beloved WW of content, however, but I hope that the serious whines -- The Big Stuff -- falls by the wayside.

And, now -- on to the Awards!

A Sister, I Feel Your Pain Award goes out to Sarah at Ratatat for her Year in Review Whine: "Whine of review: I tried to be frugal this year. And looking at my progress, I was OK...until Christmas. Bah!" I know that many pixies will be shuddering once those bills come tumbling in. Me, included.

A Red Tide! Award goes out to Kathy A., who is apparently such a Fertile Myrtle that Aunt Flo will sync up with visiting friends after lo, these many moons away.

My Patented Morton's Salt Award for the endless raining and pouring goes out to Sue for both the return of the Dreaded Headaches *and* the return to full-time work. I view insurance execs in the same light that I view education administrators: Some of them still know what they're doing, but most of them have been out of the classroom for so long, they can no longer relate. Sue, keep plugging away. You're worth it, even if they don't deserve you.

Esperanza gets the "Woo-hoo!" Award for the Mini Baboo's stick-to-it-ivness! We are all so glad that Mini Baboo has managed to hang in there for all these weeks! Wishing you an easy delivery, and that MB has all requisite fingers, toes, and ability to melt Mom and Dad's hearts in an instant. I know you'll be busy after, but please keep us updated!

Is there something in the water? Debangel returns to let us know that her little one has a case of the Mini Baboo's "stick to you like glue" and that we're on watch for Baybee Gurl Angel! Deb gets the "It's All About ME!" Award for self-centeredness. Honey -- you're pregnant! And due to deliver! OF COURSE it's all about you! And, it shouldn't be any other way. (As an aside, I hear you on the stripping of the membranes -- oochies!) Best wishes for a speedy, TIMELY delivery, and keep us in the loop. We're starving for adorable baby pictures!

A Year's Worth of Free Maid Service to any and all who care about clean refrigerator tops. This won't apply to me, though I sure could use the blinking maid service since I *still* don't care whether the top of the fridge is sparkling clean or not. I can *SEE* the top of the fridge, but I still don't care. Sue, if I ever make it to Canada, we're going out for a night on the town, and to hell with the fridge top! Don't you DARE clean it! We Pixies have standards to maintain!

Amy gets the Huh? Who Am I? Award for Tater's nighttime restlessness, resulting in little to no sleep for her. So sorry, Ames! Is it still illegal to drug your children so you can get some rest?! Drat. Yep; still illegal. I have one word for you, Amy: Dimetapp. I hope that Hubs' job situation gets better, and that you all know where you stand with that very soon. Very little is worse than feeling unsure as to your employment -- please let us know if we can do more than just be a friendly ear to listen.

Kathy A. gets the coveted Elevated Risk of Mullet Award for her cleanliness haiku:

"clean fridge tops are for
people who lack good hobbies.
pixies united!"

Love it! And, it's so true! Pardon me while I dig my way past the fridge dust to the craft room....

Whine of the Year Awards go out to:

Esperanza for her stressful Butt-On-Couch gestation of the Mini-Baboo. I know it was hard, but not as hard as giving birth at -30 weeks. We wish you, and the whole E family all the best, and know that MB will be healthy, whole, and drop-dead gorgeous; Sweet Baboo will continue to rick the house with reaching milestones, and will be a devoted older sibling; and Mr. E's flock will be loving and supportive.

Sue, for the return of the Headache of Doom. This is an issue that impacts me WAY more than I would like, so I feel much love and sympathy towards Sue's struggle. I wish you luck with the Occipital Nerve Stimulation and hope you can get into the program and have it WORK for you. Let me know if it does!

and, lastly to Kathy A. for her sister's cancer and multiple family funerals. I'm sure that Kathy will agree with me that 2009 is a year she's glad to be seeing the back of! As if only one of these isn't enough stress for you to deal with -- you've got all of them together. I'm glad that you are testing negatively for cancer, and that you are keeping an eye on your own health. Please accept our condolences on the loss of your loved ones, and wishes for the continued health of the surviving members of your family.

Honorable Mentions go out to Liz, for snowy roads combined with political shindigs AND awesome knitting skillz; JenR for "help" from a little one in cleaning the basement; and Sarah at ratatat for the 10-hour-a-week job time suck.

Thanks to all for making WW *the* place to spend the New Year! I hope that you all return often to whine during 2010, but may they all be whines of the Old Skool variety. May our community lighten your load, and provide you with much-needed support and laughter. Happy 2010, Pixies!

11 comments:

Sue said...

Great awards KLee!!! Amen to forgetting the fridge tops. (Awesome haiku work kathy a.!!!)

Awaiting word on debangel and rooting for esperanza and Mini-Baboo for 2010 babee-ness!!! So exciting.

may 2010 bring many many anti-whines to all!

esperanza said...

Excellent awards, KLee!

If you want to be in the babee loop, feel free to email me at texasesperanza @ hotmail.com...from there we can be friends on facebook, or we have an email distribution list for baybee (I'm no good at spelling wrong) news. Pictures will accompany news, I'm sure.

Madeleine said...

Awesome and inspirational ceremony, KLee. Thank you for all the good wishes.

Happy new year to all the pixies. May your resolutions be achievable and your loved ones supportive. Or skip the resolutions and have chocolate fondue, like we did.

kathy a. said...

beautiful awards, klee!

i have to decline some, though -- aunt flo just left a calling card, after all; and only one family funeral this year, so the W/AW balance turned out OK. definitely keeping the coveted mullet award, however!

mmm, chocolate fondue sounds good... best to all the pixies and soon-to-be pixies!

kathy a. said...

nonetheless -- ooooh, yeah, glad to see 2009 in the rear-view mirror!

Jenevieve said...

Amazing awards, KLee! Don't forget your awards for dealing with issue-laden students (and their parents), and for the tennis elbow that didn't even give you tennis skillz as recompense. Hope you all have an awesome 2010!

debangel said...

I has both hands free to type! Not sure if anyone is reading old comments, but in baybee gurl news, little Arianna was born on 12/31 at 2:56 pm. 19", 6 lbs 2 oz, and we're doing great! If any pixies would like to see pictures, feel free to email me (Debbie) at ddebangel@hotmail.com. Thanks for all the good wishes..they meant everything to me! Happy New Year!

esperanza said...

Yippee!!!! Woohoo, and welcome Arianna!!

Liz Miller said...

WOOT! Welcome sweet Arianna!

kathy a. said...

congratulations, debangel! welcome to the world, baby arianna!

amy said...

Yay for a baby!

Awesome awards, KLee, as always. :)