Pages

Thursday, March 5, 2009

I Don't Wanna Edition


Our own fabulous Liz set the tone early, and wins the coveted Elevated Risk of Mullet Award for her timely whine, “I've got a bad case of the Idon’tWannas,” which somehow coincides with OMG moving!

Following that theme, Margalit wins the Morton Salt Award (when it rains, it pours) for dealing with multiple bad things, from snow to medical to fruit flies to cat pee. I mean, sheesh, give her a break, already! (Host shakes fist at universe.)

Sue wins a Quote of the Week crown for “Le Sigh,” a spirit resonating with other Pixies, and an Ain’t That the Truth Award for “I really dislike feeling like I'm as dumb as a bag of hammers, even though I know now that I'm not.”

Old Skool Award goes to JenR, who was summoned to fetch her “not happy” son from day care. He was fine within minutes, and fell happily asleep in the car.

New School Award to Genevieve, who fell (almost literally) on her face and got all banged up (OUCH!), and none of her Facebook friends said a single fireplacing word. Passing the motrin, and hoping for a swift recovery, Genevieve!

Kill the Spider Award to Amy, which comes with a loooong vacuum cleaner nozzle for future encounters of the arachnid kind. Pixie hugs and sympathy, Amy, for the double-whammy of feeling depressed and hubs leaving for training.

There are some fabulous Anti-Whines this week!

The Boogie Woogie Sweet Baboo Award goes to Esperanza, for the joy of seeing her rhythm-deprived bitty one dance her heart out!

Snow Days Award to Elizabeth, who went nowhere for two days, except to play in the snow outside.

Miranda scores the Free at Last Award, celebrating an upcoming 33 days without work travel!

Thanks for playing! Girl Scout cookies and wishes for a better week to everyone! See you next week, when Madeleine hosts the Whiner’s Ball.

13 comments:

Madeleine said...

{{{Amy}}}} I take fish oil pills and don't get fish burps. Take care of yourself as best you can.

Liz, I'm so glad MM is feeling fine today. If you didn't get a good answer, he probably can take an adult ibuprofen if he can swallow it.* Snuggly Girl is 8 and I calculated her dose on the liquid bottle as 300ish mg. So I give her a 200 mg pill as needed and for something bad I don't hesitate to give her 400 mg.

*Pixies may remember the celebrations when SG learned to swallow pills. Ah, joy. Also, that liquid stuff is expensive.

Anonymous said...

omg, i'm so sleep-deprived. i didn't even think of the vacuum!

madeleine, i wonder if the only people who tell others that they take fish oil are the ones who get the burps, so that it seems like everyone gets them. 'preciate the good news.

Anonymous said...

thanks, Kathy, great awards!
Amy, I've taken fish oil capsules w/o fish burps too.

Liz Miller said...

Also, flax-seed oil has omega-3 fatty acids too, so if you get the fish burps, you have an alternative.

Madeleine, that's EXACTLY what the nurse line told me!

Sue said...

Thanks kathy a. - terrific awards!

Genevieve - a nurse once told me that the best remedy for ouchie pain is a tylenol/advil combo. The two can be taken together. The tylenol acts quickly on the pain itself while the ibuprofen gets to work on the inflammation. Just thought I would share...

Amy - I kept thinking of that scene from Annie Hall where she has a "spider the size of a Buick" in her closet. I hope you are now free of spidey friends.

kathy a. said...

liz, great that MM is better! and now he can take big-boy meds, if needed -- yay!

amy, we are never free of spidies, which is one reason i love my vacuum. [vacuuming is not one of my faves, in general, but one can celebrate having a tool for the job when needed.]

genevieve, i've also gotten the tylenol/advil advice, most recently when daughter had a bad recovery from having her wisdom teeth out. they suggested advil, then tylenol 2 hours later, then advil 2 hours after that, etc.

Madeleine said...

Nice to know that if this whine-hosting gig doesn't work out I have a future as a nurse-advice-line.

To further that future role, I will third the tylenol/advil alternation advice. Also good for high fevers, for which I would start with the tylenol because it seems to work quicker. The reason you can take both is that "they are metabolized by different pathways in the liver," quoth the doctor friend who first told me about it.

One of my best nurse-advice-line moments, actually, was with a work friend who wasn't sure if it was really teh teething keeping her kid up, because toddler was still fussy for 40 minutes after the advil. But advil takes 40 minutes to kick in (in my kid and hers, at least). She was so pleased to learn that.

I think my favorite part of having a sick toddler/preschooler was 40 minutes after advil when she would suddenly burst into song.

Liz Miller said...

I'm gonna fourth the Tylenol/Advil combo advice. My son's ped swears by it. My biology teacher, however warns against taking Tylenol after drinking excessively, it's processed in the liver in the same way as alcohol and can put you over that shaky edge.

kathy a. said...

woo-hoo, madeleine! not only are you good, with a huge future in nurse-line-advice, but i love the image of SG bursting into song when the meds kicked in!

i'm devoted to advil/motrin/ibuprofin; tylenol doesn't seem to do anything for me when i get the occasional awful headache. it does take about 40 min. for the advil to kick in. for pain that is really bad, it is OK to kick the dose up a little, with doctor's advice.

it is NOT OK to increase tylenol doses, though, since that can cause liver/kidney damage or worse. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tylenol

Unknown said...

I almost bought a box of cookies the other day, but as is often the case in our modern world, I had no money in my wallet, only a credit card.

kathy a. said...

cash, robert. that's the ticket, especially during GS cookie season.

esperanza said...

For once, this is a medical dilemma that I don't have any additional wisdom on.

And, expect a whine from me next week that the Sweet Baboo has more rhythm than I do! She's getting better at the boogie every day.

kathy a. said...

woot, sweet baboo!